If something is being purchased from a Student Groups A or B account, the group should always use the best value approach and therefore make sure to Challenge, Compare, Compete, Consult.
You can do this for almost all purchases on equipment, facilities, coaching, events, etc. Below are more questions you should ask yourself at each step.
- Why are we doing this?
- What do we need to achieve?
- Is this method the most economical, efficient and effective?
- What is in the best interests of our stakeholders?
- What is the evidence about levels of need?
- Are there better ways of achieving the desired results?
- Could another organisation do this for us more effectively and economically?
- What are we achieving?
- How does this compare with what we should be achieving?
- What standards are similar schools achieving?
- How do our standards compare with theirs?
- Is our provision at the right price?
- Could we provide it at a better price?
- If we are buying services, could these be obtained at a better price?
- How do we make sure we receive the most economic, efficient and effective service from suppliers?
- Is one supplier used regardless of price and if so why?
- Do our members feel this is the best use of our money?
- What do other committee members think?