Start a conversation

The What, Who and How of Transport

If you are planning to hire a minibus or alternative vehicle it is in your best interest to read and understand this guide. Transport is an easy process when you know it and fully comprehending the information listed below will help it all run smoothly. If there is anything that you want to be clarified, please contact the Students’ Union Groups Team on

Driver Registration Form

To be able to drive as a volunteer for Portsmouth Student Union or any of it's student groups. This form is to be completed by anyone wishing to drive as a volunteer for Portsmouth Student Union or any of it's student groups.  

In fulfilling our obligations under this contract to ensure driver safety, comply with insurance and driver permit conditions and undertaking data analysis we will process your data and the data provided by the University of Portsmouth to form our central student records. In the case of any incident the University of Portsmouth Students’ Union will share carefully considered data with public authorities and our insurers (Endsleigh Limited) for the purposes of investigation 

Vehicle Sizes and Prices

As we no longer have our own minibuses to hire, all the vehicles you will be using are from a local company based in Hilsea (in the North of Portsea Island). This company is called SSD and their address, telephone number and opening hours are as follows:

Southern Self Drive Van and Car Hire,

Quartremaine Road,


PO3 5QQ. 

023 9266 2103


When hiring a vehicle you need to collect it from the address above and drop it off there when you are finished with it. SSD will provide you with any relevant documentation and can go through this with you when you collect the vehicle.


Their list of vehicles for hire and their daily hire prices are:

Small Van:
Large Van:

3 Seat:
5 Seat:
9 Seat:
14 Seat:

SSD Insurance costs*:

1 Day:
2 Days:
3 Days:
4 Days:
5 Days:
6 Days:
7-14 Days:

*Please note, these costs do not include fuel.

For some more information about the company, their website can be found here.

Want to become a Minibus Driver for a Student Group?

In order to do so, you must:

• Have a clean UK/EU license
• Be 21 and over and been driving for 2 years

If you the above applies to you, the next step is to complete and return an authorised drivers form which is attached below. The driver must also pass the Union’s online driving test with 90% or more (the link to this is here).

You must complete our practical minibus driving assessment which you will need to contact to book after completing the online test. 

How to Book a Vehicle

Do not book if there are less than 14 days’ notice! If you do we will decline your request and simply suggest that you seek alternative methods of transport such as taxis, the train, buses or coaches. Your group will still be subject to pay for your own transport.

Committee members can book vehicles using our booking system which you'll notice is the same system that we use for booking Union meeting rooms. You must make sure that you select the correct date, an available vehicle and the correct start time (from the moment that you pick it up). Make sure that you complete the dropbox (if the driver’s name is different from the person booking please add name and contact number of the driver) and double check these details before submitting your request.

The Groups Team will confirm or decline the booking depending on availability and requirements.

Remember your named driver is responsible for collecting the vehicle from SSD themselves and there are no exceptions to this.

If there are any changes to your vehicle hire then this needs to be communicated to the Student Groups team as soon as possible. The longer you leave it the less likely we will be able to help you.

If Using your Own Vehicle

If you have a driver with their own car willing to take members of your group on an excursion then they will need to complete the Private Vehicle Use Registration Form which is attached below. Once completed and signed, the group will need to scan this and send it to to be removed.

Remember, if driving to a competitive event that your members are participating in, the named driver of the vehicle will need to make sure that they are covered by business insurance.

If a Vehicle is Damaged

If a vehicle becomes damaged in some way whilst you have been using it then it is important to report this. You will need to record it down on one of the forms. This is one of the documents that SSD will provide you with and can go through this with you when you collect the vehicle.


  1. 118 KB
  2. View
  3. Download


  1. 29 KB
  2. View
  3. Download
Download all
Choose files or drag and drop files
  1. Student Groups Team

  2. Posted
  3. Updated